MALANKA CELEBRATION INFO:
- Tickets Available in Vermilion: Simple Pleasures & Boutique and MACK Clothing
- Online: Facebook Page: Vermilion Ukrainian Cultural Association
- CALL/TEXT RHONDA HEADON (780) – 522-8784
- When: Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Where: Vermilion Regional Centre
- Ticket Price (ADVANCED TICKETS ONLY)
- Adult (12+) $40
- Children (6-11) $15
- Preschool (3-5) $10
- Doors open at 4pm
- Performance at 5pm
- Supper at 6:15
- Dance to follow
- Fundraising Games
2018-2019 MALANKA TEAM:
- Ryan Adams
- Brian & Rhonda Headon
- Craig Wynnyk
Malanka or “Generous Eve” is Ukrainian New Year’s Eve. It is celebrated on January 13th, according to the Julian calendar. While Christmas is a religious event, Malanka is a secular merry-making celebration.
In some communities, organizations sponsor a dress up Malanka Banquet & Ball. On this, the last night of the year, dressing up, satirical skits, & fortunes telling all add to the carnival atmosphere of the evening.
On New Year’s Day, Malanka celebrations continue. Boys often go from house to house “sowing” grain on the floor of the homes they visit signifying a wish for good fortune & prosperity. We wish each and every one of you good fortune, health & prosperity.
Malanka • New Years!